Here is a fun way to add a little personalization and creativity to your photos. Putting your personal touch to a photo mat can help enhance your portrait and is an easy way to create a seasonal or regional feel.
Living in the midwest, I have been fortunate to grow up with a magnificent display of color every Autumn. This year has certainly been no exception! I have been driving slowly through the streets our our small town and and lingering just a little longer when I step out on my deck to take in the gorgeous red, oranges and yellows that decorate our old town’s abundance of well- established trees. My camera is filled with images of nature’s Fall beauty. An easy photo mat is one way in which to use some of these landscape pictures. Also, this project is easily adaptable for any for season, holiday or whatever beautiful landscape is around you.
Here is what you need:
- Picture frame with a plain mat
- Digital file of a seasonal or landscape photo
- Computer with printer
- Photo to be featured
- Sheet of light coloredCardstock
- Something to cut on (cutting board)
- X-acto Knife
- Photo safe tape
There are 2 ways to create this look. Here is the 1st and less labor intensive method for which you will need an 8×10 frame, but not the plain photo mat.
1. Print your nature or seasonal photo in an 8×10 aspect ratio on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock. (I used an off white color to create the look I wanted and made sure to print in the best quality print setting.)
3. Using your ruler, center your featured photo on the printed cardstock and adhere it with photo safe tape.
4. Place your matted photo in the frame and enjoy.
Method 2 provides more of a three dimensional look.
Start by completing step 1 and step 2 as explained above.
3. Lay the plain mat that accompanied the frame on top of the back of the printed page. Trace the inside of the mat and then use a the straight edge of a ruler to draw an X from corner to corner inside of the mat.
4. Again, using your straight edge cut along the X with your X-acto knife.
5. Fold the edges of the printed page and tape to the back of the mat that came with the frame.
6. Place your matted photo in the frame and enjoy.
Have fun with this one and make it your own!!